The life and times of an English Airedale Terrier puppy

Friday, June 01, 2007

Here Comes The Sun

Hip hip hooray, we finally got a sunny day! When I realised it was a lovely afternoon I asked mum if we could go to Seven Fields, our local nature reserve, which is right on our doorstep.

I get to come here almost every day, but as I hadn't shown it to you for a while, I thought we'd take the camera to show you how green and lush everywhere looks (yeah, largely because of all the nasty rain!).

6 out of the 7 fields are left unmown during the spring and summer, then they are cut for hay in the early autumn. This makes sure that the soil isn't enriched and means that lots of wild flowers grow alongside the grass. Humans have to keep to the grassy pathways which are cut into the fields, but us lucky doggies can run all over!

We can also do this!





As is nearly always the case, even on a lovely sunny day after days of rain, I still had the place to myself. What is wrong with all the other doggy owners? Bring your dogs here to play, they'll love you for it! And I'll love you too, cos then I'll have some friends to enjoy the fields with.

Here's a panoramic view of video of one of the fields. Pretty isn't it? You can see I am standing on one of the paths.



There are already quite a lot of flowers in the fields, but other people have told us that there will be many more before the summer is over, especially a multitude of poppies. We will let you see more photos as the summer progresses.


Mum took some close up photos of the flowers. Well, I suppose technically they are weeds, but they're lovely all the same.

I would really have my work cut out keeping up with the gardening down here wouldn't I?

Of course, mum being mum, we had to have a photo call before we got down to the fun stuff. She said she wanted to get some nice "1 year old" photos. I have learned now that it's easier just to get in out of the way quickly so I can get to go off and play!

I am wearing one of my birthday bandannas from Putter.

This grass is a bit tickly on your nose, I think I'm going to sneeze, a-a-achooooo!

This is my serious big grown up boy face. Nah, not really. I was waiting for a liver treat, hehehe! Well, food is a serious business is it not?

As usual, I was on sticky patrol, and found a good one without too much difficulty.



I never do fetch with sticks. It's far more fun to chomp them!


See Boo, I will hold sticks in my paws because unlike treats, they're not all sticky and icky (well not until I've chewed them up anyway!).

With teeth the size of mine, it's only a matter of minutes before the average stick is just a pile of woodchips. I don't really eat any of it, I just like shredding it up. I could probably get a job at a wood yard. I could then buy all the treats I wanted with my earnings, whooo!

Sticky sticky sticky, I love you so!


Mum says she likes this photo most out of all the ones she took today. What do you guys think? Is this my good side? Can you see I'm wearing the beautiful tag I received for my barkday from Sunshade?

Hmm, well even I have to agree that this isn't the best photo! Chewing up sticks is hard work, OK?

After my sticky workout, I was ready to move on and explore more.

I had a look in the woods, but there were no squirrels today, boring. Sometimes I will sit at the base of a tree for an age hoping the tree rat will come back down again.



I also had a quick dip in the stream to cool of and have a refreshing drink. It is extremely clean water, until a big bruiser like me jumps in and stirs it all up!



Last but not least I had a game of hide and seek with mum. I thought I'd be able to hide pretty easily in the long grass.

I put my head down and began a commando style raid into the undergrowth.

I asked mum if she could still see me. She said she could. Hmmm, need to try harder then.


I thought maybe if I closed my eyes so I couldn't see her, then she wouldn't be able to see me either. Yes, I realise now that was a bit daft. Must have been the sunshine sending me silly!

Hey, what do you think now? Not bad work to say I'm quite big. I think a lot of you smaller guys would have been extremely well hidden!

I hope you all have a great weekend whatever you have planned. I finally get to start agility classes tomorrow so I'm really excited! You know I'll tell you all about it!

Licks

Oscar x

41 comments:

Tadpole said...

Good job, Oscar! I could barely see you in that last picture! I think I would have gotten lost in there...! You are so lucky to have all those fields so close to you - I can't imagine why no other doggies were there?!

Loui (and his mum!) said...

Oscar you look lovely hiding in the long grass....I love this time of year as I can hide in the grass too and worry the life out of mum when she can't see me!

Loui xx

Anonymous said...

Oh Oscar.. you looked like you had so much fun!!! I wish there had been other doggies for you to roll around with!!!
Hugs,
Sitka

Faya said...

Waouw comme c'est beau chez toi ! Tu as même un point d'eau. Pour l'été c'est super. Tu es vraiment très photogénique et ton nouveau bandana te vas très bien. Ah les bois..... je ne les rapporte jamais je préfère aussi les ronger.
Bisous mon Oscar et bon cours d'agility ! Bisous, ta Faya

Molly the Airedale said...

I love your sneeze photo! Too funny!
Mom says she can't wait to see the poppy fields!

Love ya lots,
Maggie

PreciOus said...

Hi Oscar, you look great in those pics! The tiny flowers are too pretty to be weeds.

Snuggle,
Precious

Unknown said...

Wow what a great place! Can't wait to see the poppy's it will be so colorful!

Loves,
Tofu

Katherine and Pippa said...

Hi Oscar (hey - have you looked up your name yet?)
Pix are brill altho' can't see vids.
So we looked at Oscar TV instead - & that worked a treat.
Pippa
PS Mistress says she is surprised you are allowed to go the nature reserve.

Lorenza said...

Hi, Oscar. That place looks so nice.
You had the place only for you! No other doggies there? Their lost!
Good job by hidding in that grass!
Have a nice weekend
Besos
Lorenza

Ferndoggle said...

Wow! How cool is that place??? We don't have anything like that around here. Maybe we should come to England for a visit!

Sherman, Penny & Lola

Marvin -The Hollow Hound said...

Lovely pics and vids as always Oscar.

good luck with the agility classes.

You will be a star I am sure!

love n licks, Marv xxxxxx

Simba and Jazzi said...

agility classes sound like fun. Its supposed to be nice all weekend, enjoy it while it lasts.

Simba xx

Putter said...

Oscar!

What a goodest time you must have had! You look greatest in your bandanna! I am glad you like it! :) Talk to you soon!

Your Friend,

Putter ...:)

Joe Stains said...

we just loved all of your pictures. we dont have nice lush grass here just a bunch of prickly grass. stinkin desert.

Gwyn Valentine said...

Hi Oscar,

The pictures look so good!
I want to go to the Seven Fields with you!
You are so lucky to have such beautiful fields right infront of the foorstep!
U will go good in the agility course!
Have a great weekend too!

Love,
Reina

Bogart H. Devil said...

Great photos of you in the tall grass Oscar!!!!

Love,
Bogart

Ruby Bleu said...

What a great adventure Oscar!!! You look like you had so much fun! Agility classes...you must tell me all about them. My mom is thinking about taking me to them too!

Lots of Licks, Ruby

Charlie - The Big Dog said...

Hey nice pics Oscar!
That place looks like lots of fun.

Charlie - The Big Dog said...

I nearly forgot - HAPPY BIRTHDAY buddy!

Boo Casanova said...

well oscar, i think you hold that stick pretty nicely. now mom just need to convince you holding your treats while eat is so much fun too! hehehehe.

before i read about you not eating the stick, i was worried what if u eat up all the woodchips. luckily u clarify it before we concern about your being sick.

wet wet licks

Boo

Hammer said...

Wow !! Oscar

I'd love to be able to run free in fields amongst the flowers like you.

There are bad snakes in Australia and ticks too. This is why mum will never let us run off leash in parks and reserves. Also hoomans steal us and cars run over us.

Your country looks a great place for a doggie to live.

You look very handsome in your birthday bandana too, Oscar.

Love from Hammer

Jackson's J1 and J2 said...

Looks very pretty where you live. Hope you have fun at your agility classes. Can't wait to hear all about it! J x

Percy said...

Hey Oscar,
This place looks like just the place for a summer walk, I'll have to go check it out. Last weekend it rained and rained, I didn't want to go for a walk at all - but I was told it was good for my health!
Enjoy the sun - Percy

T-man Angel said...

What a beautiful place!! I'm surprised there are no other people and doggies there running around. I would be there if I could :)

T-man

Asta said...

Oscar, what could be better than rolling around that fresh bootiful field for such a grownup boy(having me there to romp with heheheheh)
I could even hear the birdies singing,and that water looks so cool and lovely,then there's you looking super in your new bandana and tag..what great friends you have.
Have fun in class, I know you'll do well!
smoochie kisses
Asta(p.s. I have more gwonuppy picture with my comment, what do you think, am I old enough to be one of your girlfwiends?)

JAZZ AND DIXIE said...

WOW!!! Oscar those are some great green fields you have there!!! We would love to join you running through that long grass off leash! We really liked the first video of you rolling around in the grass. Nic photos too.
Licks
Jazz and Dixie

Marvin -The Hollow Hound said...

Loved your videos and your pics Oscar! That place is very similar to where we walk, lots of lovely grass to run free on!

Such a shame you don't meet more doggies there! What is wrong with people not wanting to take their doggies somewhere as nice as where you walk!

love and licks, Marv xxxxxxx
look forward to hearing about your agility classes tomorrow!

Marvin -The Hollow Hound said...

sorry Oscar, I realised I have left two comments about your post, but they are both slightly different! Your post was so good, I commented twice (and watched it twice too!)

Silly old Marvin xxxxx ;0)

Amber-Mae said...

Oh lucky you! And the field is gorgeous with pretty flowers & bright green grass... Did you enjoy yourself rolling on the grass? Hehe, I bet you did!

Love licks,
Solid Gold Dancer

Stanley said...

Oscar,

It's obvious your mum loves you so, even if you can't completely hide yourself - you great big bootiful Aireman!

Loved the video, loved the pics, love you, buddy!

Your goober,
Stanley

Balboa said...

What a nice place, I am so jealous. I bet rolling around and playing in the grass was wonderful

Frenchie Snorts
Balboa

Persephone and Buster said...

hi oscar! thanks.. i like my hat too... i've got all sorts of hand - downs from my human bro....
boy your walkies are way better with all that field to explore.... are there any badger holes out there?? nice scarf -- sephie sends her love.. sez you're a kewl dude..
you'll love 'gility... just watch out for the teeter it sometimes pops you in the butt.. tell your humom to hold it for a soft ride down til you get the hang of it...if you're like me you'll make a big BANG! in no time.... your friend,
buster the blue & my sis sephie too!

Peanut said...

If we lived there mom would take us for walks and we could play. Looks like you had lots of fun.

Sir Chance-Lot said...

Awwwwww Oscar..you are too gorgious and cute...I love those pics. Mama says she is feeling inspired..hehe...Hope you had a good weekend frind
Lovelovelove
Chance

Sir Chance-Lot said...

Awwwwww Oscar..you are too gorgious and cute...I love those pics. Mama says she is feeling inspired..hehe...Hope you had a good weekend frind
Lovelovelove
Chance

Gigi, Slurpee, Nachos and Murrey said...

Wow Oscar~ you had the whole field to yourself?!
How we wish we were there running too... and of cos hiding!

Luv,
Gigi,Slurpee, Nachos and Murrey.

Anonymous said...

OoOoOoh (:

looks like fun, i would love to run around in that grass (: although Jez would probably sink right to the bottom hehes (:

Love
Floss & Jez♥

Smudge said...

You were so lucky to have all that grass to yourself! Hope you didn't get any short bits in your ears, that's so tickly! Can't wait to hear about your agility classes.

Love, Smudge x

Myeo said...

We would have been swallowed by the grass if we were there. The grass are all so tall.

Love
Boy n Baby

Nugget said...

Oscar, Gorgeous pictures, both the scenery and you!

Anonymous said...

I am the kind of guy who enjoys to taste unused stuff. Currently I'm making my hold pv panels. I'm doing it all by myself without the assistance of my staff. I am using the net as the only path to acheive that. I saw a really awesome site that explains how to build photovoltaic panels and wind generators. The site explains all the steps involved in solar panel construction.

I am not exactly sure bout how accurate the data given there is. If some guys over here who had experience with these things can have a peak and give your feedback in the thread it would be grand and I'd really appreciate it, because I truly enjoy solar panel construction.

Thanks for reading this. You people are great.