The life and times of an English Airedale Terrier puppy

Sunday, June 10, 2007

Airegility Again

Hello all, an eye update first. They're soooo much better after a few days of drops, not red and angry looking and much less gunky. Thanks for all your good wishes, it seems they and the eye cream did the job!

Anyhow, so yesterday morning we set off to my second agility lesson. You may remember that mum didn't come last time so she was looking forward to seeing how I got on.

I don't know any of the dogs in this class even though it is run by the same people as my obedience class. There was a Boxer, a Bull Mastiff, a couple of Springer Spaniels, a Border Collie, a Border Terrier and a couple of mixed breeds. None of the other dogs were all that friendly which was a bit of a shame as you know how I like to play with EVERYONE! Never mind.

First we did some warm up walking around and practiced sit-stays and down-stays. We had to do it for much less time and with our mum or dad nearer than at obedience, so it was pretty easy, especially as mum had taken goat's cheese to use as treats, yummy!




Next we worked on our recalls. Now normally I am really good at these, but not yesterday! I guess maybe it was because there were lots of exciting new dogs and smells (agility is in a different village hall to where I do obedience) and I kept breaking my wait, oops! Lots of the dogs were barking too, and I am a bit of a wuss when it comes to barking dogs; I tend to run to mum (blush). Also, after the first recall, it took the lady forever to get her Bull Mastiff (I think she's called Tia) back and I had to sit waiting for ages which made me all twitchy. Lorraine who runs the class knows I can do good really good waits and recalls at my obedience class so she made me do it again and again, meanie!



Then finally it was time to play! The first time we did some jumps, then tunnel then the jumps again. Mum messed it up the first time by telling me to go the wrong way, stoopid. We did it fine the next time though. Not bad for only my second class and mum's first. I am not boasting but I was already a lot better than some of the others and they were already learning when I started last week.



The second course we did was some jumps, the tyre and the dog walk. We were going to use the tunnel too, but someone had pee pee'd in it, nice! Check out my technique on the second jump, hehehe! I am still not great at the dog walk but again, not too bad to say I'd never seen one before last week. At the end they were trying to get me to practice waiting at the bottom to make sure I hit the bottom section, as your feet have to touch the bottom in agility competition, but I had already jumped off - never mind!



I can't wait for next week! Who knows what equipment we'll try out!

I've been to my show today as my eyes were looking OK. I'll let you know about that next time (keeping you in suspense hahahaha!)

Oh, and in fishy news, we have two baby guppies!!! We think the mummy guppy may have eaten a lot of them as they can do that straight after birth sometimes, but hopefully these two may now survive. They are really teeny tiny, but are already bigger today than they were yesterday. Another female guppy also looks pregnant, so dad has ordered a breeding tank. Hopefully it will arrive before the mummy fish gives birth and we can save more babies this time. It's so exciting! Here are all the fishies swimming around.



Licks
Oscar x

31 comments:

Headgirl said...

YEEEEEEEEEE!
I've watched several times! Great fun viewing & sorry{!} laughing too @ antic's!

Pats & hugs!
Blue

Ruby Bleu said...

You did great Oscar!!! I want to do agility some day...we're just waiting for our training to start the class. It will probably be in the fall.

I can't believe you won't tell us about the show...I can't stand it!! So glad your eyes are feeling better too!

Lots of Licks, Ruby

Marvin -The Hollow Hound said...

Wonderful work in the video Oscar!

And I would sure hate to be a fish, if their mama eats them, how weird is that!

love and many licks, Marv xxxxx

ooooh and so pleased you are no longer a sight for sore eyes! ;0)

Peanut said...

You did great. IT was funny watching you knock the pole down with your paw.

Joe Stains said...

I love all of your videos! you did such a good job at all those jumps!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow Oscar! I am impressed with your agility stuff! It looks super fun. Maybe mom should get me some toys like that. I LOVE to jump over things!
Hugs,
Sitka

Molly the Airedale said...

You're so smart with all of the obedience Oscar! Mom says she wishes I was half as good as you are!

Love ya lots,
Maggie

Suki & Joey said...

I'm glad your eyes are all better, Oscar! That agility class looked like fun, but those other dogs seem like jerks.

I think you're the best out of all of em!
Puggy kisses
Suki

Toby said...

Wow Oscar, you are an agility pro!! Keep up the awsome work!! Mommy loves watching dogs and agility... (I guess its cuz I don't know any of that stuff).

So glad to hear ur eye is doing better too. I'm having seasonal allergies and its making my eyes all teary too. But the Vet gave me some drops and it seems to be helping. Let's put our paws together and pray that this yucky eye stuff goes away for good!!

Luv,
Tobes

the many Bs said...

Hey Oscar, you're pretty good at that stuff. Good for you. It looks like fun. We like your fishies too. They're shiny.

Myeo said...

The baby guppies must be real small. We have some Parrot fish at home and an Arowana but er, they dont seem to breed.

When they are biggerm do let us see sit :)

Love
Boy n Baby

Boo Casanova said...

oscar, the class room seems to be quite crowded. in your first video, there were so many dogs and they all were pretty unruly. but you keep on focusing on your mom only. good boy!

i have never been to a class before. i'm not sure if i can be as discipline as you.

wet wet licks

Boo

Lorenza said...

Hi, Oscar.
So glad to hear that your eyes are better.
You did great at your agility class! That Bull Mastiff looks pretty active, to say a kind word!
I know I'd be a mess if I tried agility or obedience classes.
Have a good night
Lorenza

Rachael said...

Wow Oscar! you learned all of that in just two lessons! You are a bright boy! Agility is so much fun you are going to love it.

Congrats on the baby guppies!

Faya said...

Oscar ! Tu fais ça super bien.... Tu vas sûrement gagner tous les prix. Nous on a pas pû faire d'agility parce qu'on est dehors et qu'il faisait trop chaud alors on a fait du sanitaire.. c'est rigolo aussi. Gros bisous, Faya

Gwyn Valentine said...

Hi Oscar!

Wow i enjoyed all the clips!
You look so cute in all those movie clips!
I especially liek the ones with you and Tia doing the "STAY" and the Second course. When the pole fell down on you was really funny!
If mummy is ever gona get a second pup, i'll make her get a Airdale!!!
Can't wait for your updates!
HOpe the two baby guppies will grow up to be beautiful :)

Love,
Reina

Girl Girl Hamster said...

Woh you sure did great in class Oscar. Oh I hope the 2 baby fishes grow up to be realy beautiful guppies

~ girl girl

Hammer said...

Hi Oscar

You did great at agility. I don't think I'd be much good. I'd rather sit and watch mum crawl through the tunnels etc.

Hope the guppies survive this time.

Love from Hammer

Hammer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Katherine and Pippa said...

Hi Oscar - how well behaved you are! I would be all over the ring like that naughty dog. But the jumps look good. Keep us posted on your progress.

Ruffs Pippa

Amber-Mae said...

Oh, you're doing well on your 2nd agility class Oscar. Take it easy on the jumps tho. You'll get the hang of it soon! Your training there is slightly different from ours. But heck, we all are still learning the same things anyway! Hehehehe... And CONGRATS! Two new baby guppies! I'll show you my pets soon... They're guppies too!

Love licks,
Solid Gold Dancer

Simba and Jazzi said...

Was your Mummy really embrassed when you wouldn't come back to her? I love to pretend I've never seen my Mummy before and shes some mad woman trying to kidnap me.

Simba x

Sir Chance-Lot said...

WOW, I didn't know you were an agility doggie~ I am impressed:O)
Hope you are doing good Oscar?!
*Sir*

Tadpole said...

A bull mastiff?!?! I didn't think they could move faster than a leisurely amble, let alone do AGILITY?!

You did GREAT at agility - I'd be the one peeing in the tunnel....

Asta said...

Oh Oscar,
You did bootifully!!! What grace! I think you're vewy bwave to cimb up and down, and jump through stuff, woww, you and your Mommi were super!
I loved the videos, but tell the large lady, and the one with the big bum to stop blocking our view of you!
hope the guppies make it this time, they're vewy cute.I'm sure you were great at the show too!
smoochie kisses
Asta

Putter said...

Wow Oscar! Agility looks like so much fun! You are so good at it all! Can you teach me do ya think?

Your Friend,

Putter ...:)

Stanley said...

Oscar!

You're a professional athlete, man! I could watch you all night, buddy, but my girl needed her comsnooter.

I think I speak for everydog when I cry, more agility vids! More agility vids!

Goob love,
Stanley

Urban Smoothie Read said...

boxer n mastiff doing agility?? tat's phenomenan...wonder will their boby dun get stuck in d middle of a tyre jump??? juz being funny..

i think u had a good environment 4 d training....not under d hot sun like me...

hope 2 c u participating in an agility trial soon...

Nugget said...

Good job Oscar! I've not been that interested in agility training until I heard treats were involved! Goat's cheese-yummy!

Licks,
Nugget

Bogart H. Devil said...

Oscar, YOU THE MAN :)

Love,
Bogart

PS - glad to hear your eyes are feeling better!!!

Rossi2009 said...

Wow oscar, those are tight courses!!! I enjoyed your videos!!!