The life and times of an English Airedale Terrier puppy

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

WESWATC Show 10th June

OK my friends, I will keep you in suspense no more! So, the eyes were looking good on Sunday and off we headed to my birth land of Wales to our club's Open Show near Chepstow.

I was happy just to be in the car as I simply LOVE journeys. I always seem to know if we're going on a longer journey and get cosy on the back seat quickly rather than sitting an looking out of the window like I do when we're just pootling about the town. We had to travel for about an hour today, including going over a really big bridge where we had to pay a lady some money for the privilege.

Soon after that we arrived at a hall and I could see lots of other black and tan terrors, cool! As soon as we got in the hall I spotted David, one of my breeders. My tail was going nineteen to the dozen and I had to say a big hello to him with lots of jumping about and licks. I am normally quite calm when greeting people, but David and Martin are very special to me. They said I looked very nice and my coat looked good despite mums hair-tearing efforts!

Do you remember me telling you about cute but Crocodale-like Saffie from grooming last month? Well she came to watch today with her mum and dad as her breeder had dogs in the show too. Mum was waiting for a puppy from that same breeder when they got news of me being taken back to David and Martin by my first stoopid owner, came to see me and fell in love (well, who wouldn't?). The rest, as they say, is history. I'm so glad that breeder told mum and dad about me!

Anyway, Saffie is a really confident little girl. She is now the exact same age that I was when I came to live with mum and dad. We had some really good play time at the show. I was very patient with her, letting her hang off my beard, bat me in the face and bite my ears. All the hoomans were really impressed at how gentle and calm I was with her. I'm hoping my good behaviour may help with my "I want a sister" campaign! We have been invited to go and see Saffie and her family any time, so I can't wait to play again properly when we're not on our leads.
Here is a little clip of us playing. There was plenty more but mum was conserving batteries for when I was on centre stage!



Anyway, soon the show got underway. Here is Martin with my brother Arthur. He is just over 2 years old and he has the same dam and sire as me. Look how handsome and muscly he is! I have a lot to live up to!

Here is Arthur in action. See how beautifully he moves. I think my movement is better than last show when the judge said my gait was a bit off as I am stronger now and my back legs are developing better.



Arthur got a 2nd place, yay! The dog that came first is one they always struggle to get placed higher than. I was still extremely proud of my big bro!

This is the bitch that mum and dad were going to get a puppy from. Yes, she's lovely, but I'm so glad that they got me instead!

Here's Annie. She's another of my breeder's Airedales, but she isn't related to me. She is a very pretty, dainty girl. I got to say hello to her after she'd shown and she was very sweet and polite (though she did sniff my bottom, hehehe!). She got a 1st placing!



Here the judge is shaking a treat at her to get her nice and alert. Judges like to see good terrier expression in our faces, with eyes alert and ears listening.


Isn't she a beautiful looking girl? Her and Arthur are so professional when they're showing. They know exactly how to stand, and how to show themselves off.

Here are the two bitches that won Best in Show and Reserve Best In Show. They are both owned by the same lady (the one mum was going to get the puppy from) so she had to enlist some help to take one of them round the ring!

Then after some lunch - lunch for the hoomans that is as all I got was one measly strawberry - it was my turn!

I was entered in "Best dog or bitch under 2". There were 4 of us entered: from the left they are my mate Rupert, me, Freda and Iris.

Here we are waiting for the judge to have a good look at us and feel us to see how closely we conform to the breed standard. That's what you have to remember about shows. They aren't comparing you to the others entered as such, they are seeing which of you best fits the breed standard as laid down by the Kennel Club.

Here is a video of me. I was a bit shy of the judge. I'm normally confident with people, but I think what with vet visits, funny eyes test and eye drops this week I was not too sure what he was going to do to me! The two girls had been in another class already (beginners class) so that's why the judge doesn't make them walk again.



I got a first, wooooooooooo hoooooooooooooooo! Mum was really surprised but ever so proud of me! Did you see how I went to get pats and praise from the people watching, hehehe!

Next we entered "Best Coat and Condition". Mum did wonder about withdrawing from this as she is still midway through my Aire-do, but then thought what the heck, there's only 3 dogs entered so we'll win something!



A second place! Mum was even more shocked by this. We knew Rupert would win this as he is beautifully stripped by his mum, but Jasper who came third (little Willow's big bruv) is also beautifully groomed. I guess the judge fell for my teddy bear charms!

The final round was supposed to be "Best Companion Airedale", out of the winners of "Under 2" "Aged 2-5", "Aged 5+" and "Best Coat and Condition", but the judge said he was going to base it on dog he'd most like to take home. Seeing as I kept shying away from him I knew I didn't have much chance, hehehe! Rupert won this, way to go Rupert! He won a cool rosette and his mum got a very nice rose bush.



Phew, what a great morning out that was. After the drive home I was ready to sit and relax and contemplate my success!

After I'd had a nap, mum made me pose with my certificate and rosettes. She was a bit cross that I put my big clumsy paw on it, oops!

Here I am trying to look serious and composed after my wins! I really just wanted to run up the garden with my rosette's in my mouth!

I also got my Kennel Club Bronze obedience award, so it was a real weekend of awards and accolades. I guess mum's going to need to go and by some more frames!

Here's a close up of my Kennel Club certificate. The test was pretty easy, but it's a good award to have as it is nationally recognised, whereas the ones from my training club are not. Mum will take me to try for my KC Silver over the summer. We had a look and it's not too much of a challenge (only a 2 minute wait, not 5!!!). You can often just turn up at shows of fairs and take the test there and then for a small fee. I think for the Gold you have to take a short course, but we can probably find a club somewhere nearby to go for a few sessions.

And here are my certificates and rosettes from the show, my first 1st prize, woo hoo!

Well, after reliving all that excitement, I think I'm due for another nap, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Licks

Oscar x

28 comments:

Amber-Mae said...

Wow Oscar!!! CONGRATS to you for winning 1st place! I love those ribbons too... I wish I was eligible to join these Breed Championship shows too but I just don't have the right fur coat, too thin altho I have the right female size, good muscular body, like yours *ahem* & very straight legs(according the the vet) BUT I got hip problem. And it's very bad! It doesn't hurt, I still can run fast & jump high but I have a very pronounce sway. So, there goes... I'm very happy that you got 1st place. I'm sure your mama's very very very proud of you & I'm sure you're very proud of yourself too. Congrats to you once again!!!

Love licks,
Solid Gold Dancer

Katherine and Pippa said...

well done Oscar

But does this mean you won't be friends with those of us without rosettes any more?

Pippa

Simba and Jazzi said...

Well done you, look at all those awards. You deserve them.

Simba xx

Marvin -The Hollow Hound said...

Well Done Oscar! You are so clever, and you have rosettes as well.

I am so envious, I have never won anything, well I am a pretty common mongrel so that is probably why!

Congratulations, you did so well!

love and happy licks, Marv xxxxx

and I do hope your eyes stay better now!

Boo Casanova said...

hey oscar, you look so fluffy. didn't your mom work on you with the new grooming table yet?

wet wet licks

Boo

Gwyn Valentine said...

Hi Oscar!

I AM SO PROUD TO HAVE YOU AS MY FRIEND!!! Great job!!!!!!!
Oh little saffie looks so cute!
Hip Hip HOORAY!

Love,
Reina

Peanut said...

Congratualtions.

Huskee and Hershey said...

CONGRATS Oscar!! Well done!! I am so envious cos being a mixed breed, I doubt I'll ever get any ribbons.. *pouts*
Anyhow I am really happy for you! You deserve to win!

Ferndoggle said...

What a great day Oscar! Not one, but 2 beautiful ribbons for you. We think you were the most beautiful Airedale there!

And way to go on the bronze certificate too. Brains & beauty...you're the perfect package!

Sherman, Penny & Lola

Faya said...

BRAVO MON OSCAR !!! J'ai toujours dit que tu es le meilleur.... C'est beau tout ces airedales..... Tu aimerais vraiment une petite soeur ou un petit frère ?
Gros bisous, Ta Faya

Bogart H. Devil said...

GOOOOOOOO OSCAR!!!!!

Love,
Bogart

Molly the Airedale said...

Congratulations Oscar and how exciting all of this is! We love watching dog shows and OMG you're living them! How neat for you and your mom and dad! Keep on winning ribbons Oscar! You can do it!

Love ya lots,
Maggie

Tadpole said...

Oh Oscar, I'm ever so proud to know you!!! You did an awesome job and I am impressed by how nicely you acted - I would have been jumping all over the place! CONGRATULATIONS!!! When you wake up, go and demand lots of treats for your successes!

Toby said...

Congrats Congrats Congrats!! Wow, 1st price!!! Your Mommy must be SO proud of you!! Look at those awards and ribbons!!

As for the big clumsy paw on your ribbons...well, its your right?? You're just making sure everyone knows it!!

Luv,
Tobes

Ruby Bleu said...

Oh Oscar that is WONDERFUL news! I'm so proud of you. You looked so handsome and those videos were pawsome!!! Yay!!!

Lots of Licks, Ruby

Asta said...

Oscar BRAVO!!!!!!
I just knew you'd win, I'd have given you all the pwizes!
You walked sooo bootifully, and I think you're certainly the handsomestest, and what good behavior, I'm twuely in awe
hope you got a nice snooze, and a big tweat for your achievements(your Mum is pwetty awsome too)
love and smoochie kisses
Asta

Anonymous said...

Congrats Oscar!! Your ribbons look super cooL! Hey, if you end up getting that little sister, let me know how you did it. I am trying to talk mom into a little sibling for me :)
Hugs,
Sitka

Unknown said...

Well Done Oscar!!! You are one special airedale. My ma is in love with you.


Loves,
Tofu

Loui (and his mum!) said...

Oscar, what a star you are....it will be Crufts next you know!

Loui xx

Joe Stains said...

congratulations to you!!! you looked like you were having fun AND being serious!

Nugget said...

Yay Oscar! Do you think you will win the sister campaign?

Girl Girl Hamster said...

Congrates on the win Oscar, you did very well there. :) Love your teddy bear look

~ girl girl

Rachael said...

Fantastic Oscar! Way to strut your stuff! That judge sure knew a good looking airdale when he saw one!

Baily said...

Congratulations!!! that is fantastic!

nose licks
~baily

Smudge said...

Clap Clap Clap!!!!! so many rosettes!


love, Smudge x

coco said...

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! Way to go, Oscar!!!

And I wish I could be your little sister. You'd be much more fun than my Big Sissy who is scared of me and hates to play...

Congrats again!

Coco

Stanley said...

WOOOOHOOOOO, OSCAR!

You're amazing. I knew you'd win!
Love Teddy bear face when it's all brushed out, man.

Goob hugs and kisses,
Stanley

Urban Smoothie Read said...

obedience award 4 u!! congratulations!